The Bearspaw Junior Chess Club is a non-profit organization dedicated to the teaching of children and youth, ages six through thirteen (from beginner to master), who show an interest in the game of chess.
Our goal is to help children and youth reach their individual potential through the game of chess while providing them with a fun and social learning environment.
We provide experienced instructors who use group based teaching, game practice, individual feedback, tournaments and game analysis while encouraging respectable and social behaviours.
The benefits of playing chess at a young age are many; chief among them are as follows:
- improves critical thinking and problem solving skills
- develops concentration, focusing, and decision-making skills
- enhances memory and creativity
- improves academic achievement (verbal, reading, and math skills)
- develops patience, confidence, and self-reliance
- encourages social interaction with others
- teaches planning, judgment, self-control, and consequence
- helps children and youth gain an understanding of the nature of
competition and handling pressure
The Bearspaw Junior Chess Club is affiliated with both the The Calgary Junior Chess Club and
The Alberta Chess Association. The BJCC supports chess in local schools.